Wednesday, November 05, 2008

November 5, 2008

I should be working on a novel right now, but I'm feeling, contradictorily, both woozy and euphoric.

The woozy part can be explained by my attempt to donate blood today. 80 grams below the required amount I got a hematoma and fainted. Fainting is a pretty disorienting experience. Yeah.

I'm also pretty bummed about the Prop 8 results. There is nothing worse than giving people rights and then taking them away. The "yes on 8" people put on a huge advertising campaign which, while composed of mostly lies, seems to have convinced slightly over half of California. We'll have to overturn that shit soon.

However, I couldn't be prouder of the United States today. We manned up and made the right choice, and honestly, I still can't quite believe I'm not dreaming because this seems too good to be true. I feel like I'm living in a fairy tale right now. But what we're really living in is history. November 4, 2008 is going to be a date people remember for a long time, and Barack Obama's upcoming presidency is going to change the fate of not just the nation, but probably the world, in a hugely positive way.

Thanks, everyone. Here's to the new first family.

(Novel excerpts might come up sometime. Maybe. Don't count on anything.)

4 comments:

jereme said...

i was sad about the prop 8 thing too maya.

i almost voted just to vote no on that one.

my senses came back though and i did not vote.

Maya said...

why not jereme

jereme said...

i refuse to participate in a corrupt system maya. email me if you want the full anti-democracy spiel.

Unknown said...

I think that is probably the most stupid and ridiculous thing i have ever heard. "I refuse to try to make a difference in the ways that i can at the present time because id rather raise futile protest and wallow in my smug ineptitude while the things which i believe in, which i could possibly effect through action, are slowly destroyed around me." Fucking apathetic arthouse garbage.