Monday, March 29, 2010

Muse, two thousand and seven


pictures of you again, and they call back your animal
smell, the softness of the flannel you wore, the softness
of your voice, I always had to lean so close to hear
that your soft hair tickled my face. Jason's wool.
Your paint-stained hands, great thumbs, the stink of your

great white feet, beached whales. the celebration
when we came to an elevator, when we came to the
ice-cream-vending-machine
(that deserves its very own line); fantastic; your manic eyes
like animals, like animals, but somehow

each day you were in clothes, buttoned right. it was like
a miracle, or maybe like a sin. You and your clumsy limbs,
the gawk of your height, golden-haired giant, monster, muse, me
moving always closer to you, me drawn always closer--
phoenix, phantasm, there's something miraculous

about the fact that your long eyelashes and mine
collided, July, our shyest sleeves kissing,
about the fact that I ate your radishes: you taught me
that anyone's learnable, even a prophet,
even the least earthly prophet.



No comments: