Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The first story ever put on this blog... now in script form!

EXT. A BENCH ON STREET OF NAARAT - DAY
JOEY, a tall, brown-haired young man, sits at the bench carving a candle holder.
MIRI, his fiancee, short and dark, runs up behind him and covers his eyes with her hands.
MIRI
Guess who?
JOEY
(grinning)
Miri!
(more seriously)
Good thing you didn't knock that knife out of my grip. Someone could have gotten hurt.
MIRI
Only you or me. No one else is here.
JOEY
Oh, what a scandal!
They laugh, then turn more serious.
MIRI
We could get in a lot of trouble if they find us alone, you know. We're not married yet.
JOEY
Allow me to point out that you're the one who came to see me.
(anxiously)
Why are you here, anyway, Miri? You always need a reason.
She sits lightly by him.
MIRI
Joey, I missed my last period.
JOEY
(uncomprehendingly)
So? It will come.
MIRI
I think I might be, um, pregnant.
JOEY
Miri, you can't be pregnant. It's not possible. Women don't spontaneously grow babies.
MIRI
But... I had this dream.
JOEY
(taking her hands)
Tell me about it.
MIRI
An angel. Joey, an angel came to me. And he said I would bear the son of the Lord.
JOEY
(dumbfounded)
The Lord? The Lord God, you mean?
Miri nods.
MIRI
It was the angel Gabriel. He said I'd give birth to the son of God.
JOEY
(after a period of silence)
Dreams are only dreams, Miri.
MIRI
But... Joey.
JOEY
What is it?
MIRI
...At least part of the message was the truth, though.
JOEY
Look, skipping one cycle is nothing to worry about. You're not pregnant.
MIRI
Not that!
(desperately)
He said my cousin Elizabeth is pregnant, too.
JOEY
(skeptically)
Your cousin Elizabeth is barren, Miri.
MIRI
Yes, that's what I thought too.
JOEY
What's the truth about it, then?
MIRI
So I went to visit Elizabeth.
JOEY
And?
MIRI
She's pregnant, Joey. Six months in; there's no doubt about it. She says if it's a boy, she and Zach will name him John.
JOEY
That's not even possible. ...Does she look pregnant?
MIRI
Yes, of course.
JOEY
Then how come you haven't noticed until now?
MIRI
(thoughtfully)
I don't know. I haven't really... I expect her to look the way she does in my mind, you know? I wouldn't notice a difference unless it was sudden and drastic.
JOEY
So you think you're pregnant.
MIRI
I'm... I'm almost positive.
Joey extracts his hands, turns away.
MIRI
(anxiously)
What did I say?
JOEY
Who is the father?
MIRI
What? There isn't a father.
Joey stands, slaps her across the face and strides away, leaving the candlestick behind.
END SCENE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may sound a little crazy but my name actually is Joey Miri. I find this blog very amusing.

Maya said...

how cool!!! Glad you enjoy!